The following diesel horn pages were organized by Chuck Davis. The information was compiled and provided to the ARHS by Carl Ragoza. Carl started out as a LV employee in the mid 1950’s. He then moved out west and was a fairly well known Southern Pacific engineer before his passing.
Lehigh Valley diesel engines used one or more of the following type horns as indicated:
- (A) Wabco A-6, B-6
- (B) Leslie A-200 (also known as Bull Horns)
- (C) Leslie A-125
- (C*) Leslie A-175
- (D) Leslie S-1 (one chime).
- (D*) Leslie S-2 (two chime).
- (E) Leslie S-3 (three chime).
- (F) Nathan M-3 (all bells forward).
- (G) Nathan M-3 R1 (middle bell faces backward).
- (H) Nathan M-3 R2,4 (the two outside bells face backward).
- (I) Nathan M-2 R2 (the #4 bell is blocked off & #2 bell faces backward.) (Two chime).
- (J) Nathan P-2 R1 (two chime).
- (J*) Nathan P-2 (all bells face forward).
- (K) Nathan P-3 R2 (Three chime).
- (K*) Nathan P-3 R1,4 (Two bells faced backward).
- (L) Wabco E-2 (one chime long bell).
- (M) Nathan N-3 (the early version of the three chime air horn similar to the M-3)
Click on the links below to find pages detailing which horns were used on which Lehigh Valley diesel engines: